Take Responsibility

My dad was a supervisor at the Boeing company for over 40 years. He is a Great Depression survivor and while he had only an 8th grade level education, my dad had a wealth of wisdom acquired from the school of hard knocks.

Dad used simple one-liners that I did not appreciate  until I got older.

For example. When I asked permission to do something because my friends were doing it, I got the one-liner “Beth, if everyone went and jumped off the bridge would you go jump off the bridge?”

I got to tell ya, I hated that one-liner until one day I said it to my own young sons.

Suddenly, the light bulb went on — my dad was BRILLIANT!!!!

Now, as I’ve watched the political and Benghazi events unfold over the last few weeks, I  hear two of my dad’s one-liners – “be sure your sins will find you out” and “you can fool some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time”.

Brilliant!!!!

Another one-liner was, “there is always two sides to every story”.

And while I’ve learned the great value of listening to both sides of a story before making a decision, I am so sick and tired of the political “spins” we are forced to endure because there is no ethical boundaries. There are no rules against telling lies, withholding information or pulling things out of context.

We are now at the place where listening without discernment is likely to lead to wrong conclusions.

Here is a leadership lesson from my dad:

No staff, volunteer or donor expects Executive Directors to be perfect. When mistakes or bad things happen (and they will happen) people expect the leader to take responsibility (even if they personally did not do it), sincere repentance and the leader’s plan to help assure that it will not let it happen again.

It’s really very simple.

Leaders – TAKE RESPONSIBILITY.

6 thoughts on “Take Responsibility

1. Kim Hartman 10/24/2012 at 4:33 PM Reply

Thanks Beth. We get a lot of wisdom from our parents don’t we?

Kim Hartman

• Beth Chase 10/24/2012 at 7:48 PM Reply

@Kim Yes, we do get a lot of wisdom from our parents. The older I get the smarter my parents become. I just wish I could get my adult children to see it too…LOL

2. Wendy 10/24/2012 at 4:43 PM Reply

I too grew up with one liners from a father who was a pastor; a one liner that I keep remembering lately is…”the more security that people want the more freedom they lose.”
    In todays culture wanting to make sure that everything is perfect leads to a burden that God never asked us to carry; our only perfection is Christ!
    Thank you Beth for speaking words of absolute truth!

• Beth Chase 10/24/2012 at 7:45 PM Reply

@Wendy Yes, I heard that one too. It has so much more meaning to me now. My dad fought in WWII and he had a perspective on freedom that many just cannot relate to. Thanks for sharing.

3. Kim Hartman 11/05/2012 at 8:11 PM Reply

Beth,

See email below. Board members having difficulty registering for Eastern time zone.

Kim Hartman

From: Maria Santo [mailto:mariasanto@verizon.net] Sent: Monday, November 05, 2012 3:09 PM To: ‘Marcela Pasetti’; ‘Arthur Krummenoehl’; ‘Bane and Pat Kelley’; ‘Kim Hartman’; eglass@clarkandglass.com Subject: RE: Webinar for board members

Has anyone successfully registered for the webinar in our time zone? I am finding that both of the links below go to the Pacific time zone registration, and I have not been able to figure out how to register in eastern time. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Maria

From: Marcela Pasetti [mailto:Mpasetti@medicine.umaryland.edu] Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:08 AM To: Arthur Krummenoehl; Bane and Pat Kelley; Kim Hartman; eglass@clarkandglass.com; mariasanto@verizon.net Subject: Webinar for board members

Dear all

Kim found this webinar that seems very interesting and important to our mission.

Kind regards,

Marcela

>>> “Kim Hartman” 10/24/2012 9:55 AM >>>

See post below on Board liability free webinar if you are interested. Just passing it on.

Kim Hartman